April 12, 2023
Achievements by our faculty:
- Valerie Lambert has been promoted to Full Professor effective July 1, 2023
- The SAA session organized by Brian Billman, “Warfare and the Origins of Political Control” has been selected as a finalist for the SAA-Amerind Foundation Advanced Seminar competition. The prize winner will be announced in April.
Achievements by our current, former, and future graduate students:
- Madelaine Azar was awarded an NSF dissertation improvement grant and a Wenner-Gren Foundation grant to pursue her dissertation research on ancient iconography in the Central Mississippi Valley
- Courtney Canter was awarded a 2023-2024 Dissertation Completion Fellowship from the UNC Graduate School.
- Cayla Colclasure received an Off-campus Dissertation Research Fellowship for Fall 2023.
- Maia Dietrich has accepted a tenure track assistant professor position at Santa Clara University.
- Rosemary Gay received funding from the Fulbright US Student Program for dissertation fieldwork in Brazil from February-November 2024 and received the Graduate School’s Summer Research Fellowship and ISA’s Pre-Dissertation Research Travel Award for fieldwork this summer (2023) in Brazil and the American South (Georgia).
- Bevin Hardy has been awarded a GCPR Seed Grant for participatory community research and an ISA pre-dissertation research grant for her project Climate and Economic Pressures on Cultural Economies in a Small Island Community: A Participatory Research Study in Ocracoke, NC.
- Theo Kassebaum received the Carol and Eric Meyers ECA Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship to conduct dissertation research at the Albright Institute of Archaeological Research.
- Augusta Onyeka was promoted to the level of Lecturer 1 at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
- Preethi Saravanan has received an NSF GRFP fellowship.
- Yioula Sigounas had a journal article, “Engineering the Imaginary: Assistive Device Design for the Global South,” accepted for a forthcoming issue of Medical Anthropology Quarterly and has started a T-32 funded postdoctoral fellowship in Cardiovascular Epidemiology at the Gillings School of Global Public Health.
- Diane Slocum received a Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship to study Yucatec Maya Level 3 this summer.
- Incoming student Rebecca Wu has received an NSF GRFP fellowship.